Tuesday 22 October 2013

Shadow Woman by Linda Howard



My Thoughts

I actually loved Shadow Woman by Linda Howard - right up until the ending. The prologue intrigued me; I wondered what occurred to warrant Lizzie’s transformation and her isolation? How did she come to be under surveillance, watched 24/7 by two separate groups? I listened to this book in audio format, and those around me at the time were also interested. We had discussions about what happened to Lizzie; we speculated as to the link between her and X; we debated her association to the events outlined in the beginning?

Where did the story go wrong? Linda Howard spent the bulk of the novel leading up to a massive climax. The reader is lured into thinking a fantastic shoot out is coming, and it doesn’t happen the way it should. In fact, the two main characters are barely involved in the conclusion at all. How is that even possible? If the book is about Lizzie and X, the finish should be theirs as well. 

Now, as a reviewer of mostly romance novels, I’m also going to add something quite unusual for me... A profession of love could have been left out of the story all together. It was out of character and if genuinely delivered, the recipient should have been floored, but it was just ignored. Furthermore, I don’t think the declaration was necessary, I mean who stalks someone for several years, on their own dime, if not for love?

So... how do I rate a book that was awesome until the very end? 2+ seems too harsh and 3 feels too generous. I really am that disappointed.

My Rating

❀❀❀-

Disclaimer

I purchased an audio book for my own reading pleasure. The thoughts expressed above, are entirely my own. I don’t really like the concept of rating novels as they are subjective and subject to change. A five star book today, may be re-evaluated when compared to future novels.

Summary

Lizette Henry wakes up one morning and makes a terrifying discovery: She doesn’t recognize the face she sees in the mirror. She remembers what she looks like, but her reflection is someone else’s. To add to the shock, two years seem to have disappeared from her life. Someone has gone to great and inexplicable lengths to keep those missing years hidden forever. But the past always finds a way to return.

Strange memories soon begin to surface and, along with them, some unusual skills and talents that Lizette hasn’t a clue about acquiring. Sensing that she’s being monitored, Lizette suddenly knows how to search for bugs in her house and tracking devices in her car. What’s more, she can elude surveillance—like a trained agent.

Enter a mysterious and seductive stranger named Xavier, who claims he wants to help—but who triggers disturbing images of an unspeakable crime of which Lizette may or may not be the perpetrator. With memories returning, she suddenly becomes a target of anonymous assassins. On the run with nowhere to hide, Lizette has no choice but to rely on Xavier, a strong and magnetic man she doesn’t trust, with a powerful attraction she cannot resist. As murky waters become clear, Lizette confronts a conspiracy that is treacherous and far-reaching and a truth that, once revealed, may silence her and Xavier once and for all





Connect with Linda Howard

on Goodreads 



No comments:

Post a Comment