Wednesday 9 April 2014

The Righteous and The Wicked - by April Emerson

Available April 10th from The Writer's Coffee Shop

My Thoughts:

Ok, so here it is… my fangirl squee moment…


The Righteous and The Wicked is my all-time favourite novel this year. April Emerson has been added to my “Must Read” list. Whenever she puts out a novel, I want to know about it. I am completely satisfied.

I know some people have issues with head hopping, point of view changes; but not me. I love it. The different perspectives round out the story perfectly. You can feel the pain that both Emma and Eric are going through. When they have a misunderstanding, the POV changes put you right in the middle, simultaneously feeling their distress and rooting for both of them. In an instant, you are able to both understand and empathise with Eric (you know why he is the way he is) but you can also be terribly disappointed because he’s going to hurt Emma and he can’t seem to stop himself.

These characters are real. I think Eric could even be my first book boyfriend, except I love Emma too much and I would never compete with her that way. Oh but Eric is hot… and Emma’s voyeurism was a turn on… and how it made me feel when Stormy came out to play (yep, you read that right - this review is all about how this book made me feel). I’m a mess. A delicious mess. 

It’s been a long time since I’ve been so emotionally invested in two characters and their romance and I have missed this feeling. I wish I was Emma.


xD

My Rating:
❀❀❀❀❀

Disclaimer

I obtained an ARC from the publisher (via Netgalley) with a view to providing an honest review. The thoughts expressed above, are entirely my own. Normally I don’t really like the concept of rating novels as they are subjective and subject to change... but this book will forever be A five star book to me.


The Summary:

Small moments can seem insignificant until they change the course of a life forever. The sound of a bulldozer. A chance meeting at a gas station. A gust of wind through a chime. Benign events become something more when viewed through the lens of fate.
Emma Santori is a prisoner of tragic memories. Locked in a spiral of depression, she leads a desolate and empty life, trapped in her decrepit home. Rooted in routine, she’s numb and vacant. As a lonely Catholic school teacher, her only joy comes from her young students. One Saturday morning, her isolation is infiltrated by a mysterious architect building a home beside hers.
That man is Eric Wilder and he’s keeping a secret that’s destroying his life. Filled with guilt and self-loathing, he’s forced to move often. He chooses the small northeastern town of Pine Lake as his latest refuge, and hopes to make a successful attempt at starting his life over. As always, he’s unable to make that happen.
That all changes when he meets Emma.
She finds herself drawn to Eric when she accidentally bumps into him, but Eric’s unfazed by their first meeting. When a gust of wind brings these two people together once again, Emma discovers Eric’s secret. She’s forced to battle between her Catholic faith and her desire for this stranger.
Their attraction is intense and they soon discover they’re each lonely and longing for what the other has to offer. As their friendship blossoms, Emma realizes her passion and lust for Eric are the remedy to her depression. Eric discovers his feelings for Emma are the only antidote to his secret burden. 
They begin an erotic journey, which leads these beautifully broken people to discover that love can be both righteous and wicked.


Introducing April Emerson
April Emerson grew up in rural upstate New York, and moved to New York City after graduating from college with a degree in Literature. As a nature lover, living in the city was a culture shock, but she soon began to enjoy being surrounded by so much energy. Submerged in perpetual crowds, April developed a fondness for people-watching, which inspired her to start writing. Drawn to both the light and dark of humanity, she strives to tell sexy and romantic stories with exquisitely complex characters. When she isn’t writing, she loves listening to music or reading a good book, with a glass of wine.

Connect with April on 

No comments:

Post a Comment